DIMO Maint’s CMMS connected to Sage X3, a strategic tool at the service of the productivity and the quality of Fournier’s furniture.
Presentation of Fournier Mobalpa
Fournier is a family company specialized in the manufacturing and commercialization of kitchen furniture, bathrooms and collection storages. Founded in the year 1907 in Thônes, where it has its headquarters, the company has over 1100 employees. In 2003 it registered a 250 million euro turnover.
Fournier commercializes its products under 5 brands : Mobalpa, Perene, SoCoo’c, Delpha and Domatys, via a network of 480 franchises spread all over the world.
The recent project involving the purchase of the Hygena brand to the Swedish company Nobia with its network of 126 shops means an increase of over 20 % of Fournier’s production capacity as well as a higher awareness in terms of meeting deadlines.
Production based on time delivery
All Fournier’s products are manufactured in the Haute Savoie department, close to Annecy, on 4 production sites.
Its strategic orientation towards very customized and configurable products has naturally steered it towards a “Lean Manufacturing” type organization, with all the organizational and technological difficulties and challenges this implies.
From the moment the wood panels are received, the company must guarantee the following of the different production stages: processing, cutting, drilling, grooving, automatic or semi-automatic assembly, packaging and the dispatching of the furniture. Even the slightest breakdown could result in serious consequences, seeing as each piece of furniture is unique.
The company is committed to delivering all the components of an order (furniture and supplies) to the franchises at the same time.
Fournier registered an excellent service rate of 97.36 % in 2013.
Fournier guarantees the production of 474 000 pieces of furniture per year. “We are constantly developing our production system,” explains Paul Denis, responsible for maintenance. “We invest several tens of millions every year to guarantee that it adapts to the demand of personalized products and increases its production capacity”.
Maintenance at the center of the strategy
The maintenance service, which consists of 42 employees, from the manager to the maintenance engineer, guarantees the maintenance of the production system on all 4 sites, the management of the general resources as well as of both the spare parts warehouses.
So as to guarantee the availability and the optimal duration of the equipment, the department takes two key indicators into account :
- The breakdown rate
- The budget compliance
“The department can be proud of its results thanks to a 10 % decrease in the breakdown rates within the whole of the equipment in one year.”, says Denis. In the future, the challenge will be to increase the industrial performance while reducing or optimizing the maintenance budget.
In the future, the challenge will be to increase the industrial performance while reducing or optimizing the maintenance budget.
DIMO Maint’s CMMS tool : a guarantee of efficiency for Fournier
Since 2009, Fournier invests in the CMMS DIMO Maint solution using it at the start to manage the preventive maintenance in one of the four production sites.
In light of the importance the organization has and the efficiency which has been obtained with it, the person responsible for maintenance decides to increase the extension of the solution and make use of the numerous services it offers (intervention requests, planning, stock management, purchases and budget), with the following objectives in mind :
- To guarantee the traceability of corrective maintenance interventions
- To extend the preventive maintenance to the four production sites
- To computerize the monitoring of the stock of spare parts (20 000 article references)
- To improve the control of the budget and optimize maintenance costs
A long-term improvement of maintenance management
Fournier, which is always trying to improve productivity and quality, carries out this strategic project in 3 key stages:
1. The first stage, which is being finalized, consists in monitoring the stock of spare parts from both warehouses. Currently 30 % of the orders go through the CMMS, with the objective of making it to 100 % by the end of 2014. So as to have a global vision of the maintenance costs per machine by the year 2015, DIMO Maint’s CMMS tool has been connected to Sage X3. This way, the CMMS can recover the maintenance service orders regarding each machine that have been entered
2. The second stage, production and monitoring of control and performance indicators on each site, consists in defining and installing the activity monitoring indicators so as to optimize the costs and improve the operational efficiency (breakdown rates, MTBF, MTTR, corrective/preventive ratio, improved maintenance ratio). At the moment we have performance indicators with our computer-assisted production management (breakdown rate, MTBF, MTTR), but with this current system we do not have a cost / performance ratio.
3. The third stage focuses on improving document management by installing an Electronic Document Management system (EDM) and reducing the time necessary for an intervention by implementing the CMMS in mobile terminals with a connection to this EDM system.
DIMO Maint assists Fournier’s evolution
Paul Denis highlights the listening quality and responsiveness of the DIMO Maint teams, who have up until now always known how to fulfill the task within the deadlines of the production stage. A reduced time period was established so as to maintain a fast rhythm.
The solution’s scalability allows a great flexibility for the management of the project as the project is carried out step by step.
With the help of DIMO Maint, Fournier is heading towards totally computerized maintenance management, a more operationally efficient service, a rationalized management of the stock and purchases and a precise budget monitoring allowing the right decisions to be made. Overall, the optimization of the CMMS tool is a response to the requests of Lean Manufacturing.